Monday, September 29, 2008

generations

"...future generations will be told about the Lord" Psalm 22:30


"Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made." Psalm 145:13


What an thought-provoking experience to birth, mother, and love future generations by mothering my tiny Noelle. My future generations will, Lord willing, be birthed through my Noey. Joe and I have been given the weighty responsibility to love, guide, and set the stage for our future generations. What will we leave them? I long to leave a legacy of loving the Lord our God with all our hearts, soul, mind, and strength, and loving others more than ourselves. What does it look like to pass this on to a five-month old? As I sat rocking in a dark room tonight, holding Noelle to my body and feeding her for the seventh time today, stroking her soft head, and whispering a prayer over her, I thought, this is it. This is the beginning.


God speaks often and boldly regarding his protection, blessing, provision, and fulfillment of promises for generations after a family lives righteously. Lord, might I live in a manner that will someday bless my great-great-great grandchildren!


This summer we were able to introduce Noelle to her great-grandparents. They held our baby and prayed a blessing over her. Tears streamed down my face as I imagined the Lord's joy at this prayer. Marilyn and Ray Riihilouma gave their lives to the Savior and gave their lives to blessing others many, many years ago. Their lives forever marked my mother's. My mother's mine. And mine, I pray, Noey's. I hope to someday sit, hold, and pray a blessing over my great-granddaughter. I hope to see the joy of the Lord on her parents' (my grandchildren) faces. I hope their mother, my Noey, will be living boldly with a heart for her Savior and a heart for people.


"There is no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4

No comments: